IRS Complaints, Part II: How do I Make a Complaint Against an IRS Officer?

In order to make a complaint against an IRS Officer, there are a few things you should know:

To whom do I submit my IRS complaints?

The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) is part of the Treasury Department, but it is its own independent office within the Department. TIGTA’s focus is devoted to all aspects of work related to tax administration. It has audit and investigative arms that are aimed at promoting efficiency and fairness, protecting taxpayers and the IRS from fraud, and ensuring that the government is made aware of the shortcomings of the Internal Revenue Service. This is the place in which to file a complaint against IRS employees if you have been the victim of unscrupulous or unlawful actions at their hands.

If you have complaints with IRS system itself, you must contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service, the “watchdog” of the IRS discussed in Part 1 of this series.

What kinds of things should I report?

You should contact the TIGTA with allegations of violations that impact that integrity of Federal tax administration and IRS programs. This includes any allegations of misconduct by any IRS employee. When filing a complaint against an IRS employee, it is a good idea to provide as much evidence as possible to substantiate your claim.

Where can I submit my IRS Officer complaints?

You can submit your complaints through a variety of mediums. You never have to be fearful of any reprisals for filing this complaint, as the law is there to protect you.

By Online Form or by Email:

See the TIGTA Hotline Complaints Unit

By Phone:

Call Toll Free: 1-800-366-4484

By Fax:

(202) 927-7018

For more information, you can visit the TIGTA website at It is important to keep in mind, though, that starting out your tax case with a competent, reliable tax attorney will ensure you an advocate in the IRS arena.


Segal, Cohen & Landis
9100 Wilshire Blvd. Ste. 601E
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
(310) 285-3999

1 thought on “IRS Complaints, Part II: How do I Make a Complaint Against an IRS Officer?”

Leave a Comment